It was a incontrovertible fact that learn like a riddle. Heading into Tuesday night time’s tilt between the Jets and Coyotes, the final time Arizona had gained a sport in Winnipeg was when the Coyotes have been the Jets.
How is that doable? Properly, for these not up on their NHL historical past, right here’s how: again in April 1996, the unique Winnipeg Jets franchise was getting ready to relocation to Phoenix when it gained a last residence contest, a post-season outing towards the Detroit Crimson Wings on the outdated Winnipeg Area. Upon their relocation south of the border, nevertheless, the franchise now not had a Winnipeg opponent – at the very least not till 2011, when the Atlanta Thrashers moved north to grow to be the brand new Winnipeg Jets. However over the course of the previous 9 seasons, not as soon as have the Coyotes been capable of beat the present-day Jets in Manitoba’s capital. Thus, the final time Arizona gained a sport in Winnipeg is when the franchise was positioned in Winnipeg.
Make sense? Good. Nice. Sadly, although, it’s a incontrovertible fact that’s of little use now as a result of following the Coyotes’ Four-2 victory over the Jets on Tuesday night time, Arizona’s 10-game shedding streak in Winnipeg has come to a halt. Sure, after almost two and a half a long time, the Coyotes’ most up-to-date victory in Winnipeg now exists below the Coyotes moniker.
For Arizona’s sake, nevertheless, the victory means greater than merely clearing up some who’s-on-first-esque confusion about their final win in Winnipeg. It additionally put an finish to one of many longest highway shedding streaks within the NHL. The Coyotes’ 10 consecutive highway losses towards the Jets was the fifth-longest lively streak within the NHL heading into Tuesday night time and a streak that dated again to December 2011.
However Arizona’s slump-busting victory left us questioning which membership has the best highway woes of all. Listed below are 10 longest-standing common season highway shedding streaks – based mostly on complete video games performed – that NHL groups will probably be seeking to snap this season:
10. Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins – eight gamesDating again to Dec. 21, 2015, the Blue Jackets have had completely no luck contained in the PPG Paints Area regardless of repeated alternatives to snap the streak. In truth, on three separate events in the course of the eight-game shedding streak in Pittsburgh, Columbus has been inside one objective of ending it. Nevertheless, two shootout losses and additional time defeat have ensured that the Penguins have stored the streak alive. And apart from these three video games, the eight-game shedding streak in Pittsburgh has been downright terrible for the Blue Jackets, who’ve been outscored 35-16 throughout that point.
The excellent news? The Penguins are a division rival, so regardless of shedding the primary highway contest towards them this season, Columbus will get one other probability to finish the streak on Dec. 12.
9. Florida Panthers at Pittsburgh Penguins – eight gamesYes, critically, the ninth- and 10th-longest road-losing streaks each come towards the Penguins. That’s simply how this stuff work out typically. Talking of figuring out, nothing the Panthers have tried in Pittsburgh has finished so courting again to Dec. 20, 2014. The outcomes have been as lopsided for the Cats on the highway towards the Penguins as they’ve been for the Blue Jackets, as Florida has been outscored 30-12 in Pittsburgh over their previous eight journeys.
Given the Panthers are a workforce on the rise – although the early outcomes counsel in any other case – possibly that is the season they’ll lastly finish their disdain for travelling to Pittsburgh. Florida visits the Penguins on Jan. 5, 2019.
eight. Chicago Blackhawks at Tampa Bay Lightning – eight gamesThis is the primary of some technicalities on this checklist. Technically, the Blackhawks have gained some highway video games towards the Lightning for the reason that common season shedding streak in Tampa Bay started again on March 9, 2011. And people video games within the Stanley Cup last. So, you understand, form of essential and notable highway victories. However you’ll not that we’re itemizing common season streaks, partially as a result of including in post-season losses, when groups are going head-to-head in succession, would skew the numbers.
That mentioned, in the case of motion in the course of the 82-game slate, the Blackhawks haven’t managed to win a sport when visiting the bolts in eight tries. It’s been oh-so-close, although. Solely two of the eight video games have been determined by multiple objective and 5 have wanted additional time or a shootout.
7. Chicago Blackhawks at Washington Capitals – eight gamesAgain, we are able to’t plan these, so it’s odd to see the Blackhawks possess two of the longest regular-season highway shedding streaks within the league. And this one has already moved into an 11th yr. Starting with a loss to the Capitals again on Oct. 11, 2008 – which makes this the third-longest streak on this checklist by age – Chicago has proceeded to drop every certainly one of their subsequent eight visits to Washington. And since the 2 groups are in reverse conferences and see one another so sparingly, the Blackhawks solely have one shot to rectify the shedding streak this season. It’s a protracted wait, although: not till March 14, 2020, will Chicago head to Capital One Area.
6. Carolina Hurricanes at Tampa Bay Lightning – 9 gamesGiven the latest success of the Hurricanes and that Carolina seems as if they’re going to be competing for high spot within the Jap Convention, there’s an actual, honest-to-goodness chance that this streak ends this season. In the intervening time, although, this can be a run that dates again to Dec. 21, 2013, when the Hurricanes dropped a Three-2 additional time contest to the Lightning in Tampa Bay. Tight video games has been the theme of the streak, too. All 9 losses have been by two or fewer targets and three have are available in additional time.
The Hurricanes have an opportunity to finish the streak on Nov. 30, however they’ll have to take action after travelling for the second half of a back-to-back.
5. Buffalo Sabres at Chicago Blackhawks – 9 gamesIn the complete post-lockout period, the Sabres have gained one sport on the United Heart. To place that into additional perspective, the victory, which got here on Jan. 10, 2007, got here in the course of the Buffaslug period. The sport’s opening objective was scored by Jochen Hecht. Maxim Afinogenov scored the sport winner. Denis Arkhipov scored for the Blackhawks. Ryan Miller backstopped the Sabres to the win. All of that is to say, within the immortal phrases of Staind, it’s been some time.
It appears as if the time is coming for the Sabres to lastly win one in Chicago, although. Up to now three outings, Buffalo has misplaced two in additional time and one in a shootout. And given the way in which the 2 groups are trending, it shouldn’t be too lengthy earlier than we see the Sabres go away the Windy Metropolis with a win.
Four. Arizona Coyotes at Dallas Stars – 12 gamesDespite the very fact these two golf equipment have performed one another pretty typically over the previous a number of seasons, it’s actually not all that stunning that the Coyotes have did not win a sport in Dallas since Feb. 7, 2013. For a superb lengthy whereas, Arizona was one of many league’s foremost backside feeders, a basement workforce that merely couldn’t discover its method ahead. On the identical time, the Stars have been beginning to flip right into a workforce constantly preventing for a playoff berth. So, it’s not all that tough to see how the streak may attain a dozen video games for the Coyotes.
However with Arizona beginning to construct itself up and set up itself as a playoff contender in its personal proper, it’s not all that far-fetched to imagine this season may see the Coyotes snap a second prolonged highway shedding streak. It’s going to be some time earlier than they get the possibility, although. The subsequent highway contest in Dallas? Feb. 19, 2020, virtually seven years to the day after the shedding streak began.
Three. Montreal Canadiens at San Jose Sharks – 12 gamesThere’s nothing to see right here so far as the playoffs are involved. Plain and easy, this can be a 12-game drought that dates again to the early aughts. The final time the Canadiens have been capable of waltz into the Shark Tank and exit with a win was when the Habs picked up an additional time victory powered by the Sergei Zholtok, Martin Rucinsky, Craig Rivet and the goaltending of Jose Theodore. The date of that win? Nov. 23, 1999. Now cease, take into consideration that for a second and understand that we’re arising on the 20th anniversary of that victory. And Montreal gained’t even have the ability to cease the streak from reaching 20 years. The primary and solely time they head to San Jose this season is on March 19, 2020.
2. Detroit Crimson Wings at Tampa Bay Lightning – 13 gamesBy common season measure, this can be a streak that started on Dec. 12, 2013. However that is the purpose the place just a few Crimson Wings followers shout at their screens to state that, should you embrace post-season motion, Detroit has really gained a sport in Tampa Bay since then. And that’s true! The Crimson Wings downed the Bolts Four-Zero in Tampa Bay on April 25, 2015, in Recreation 5 of a first-round tilt between the 2 groups. Hooray!
That mentioned, attempting to take away the Crimson Wings from the checklist based mostly on that technicality does them no good. In truth, should you embrace Detroit’s playoff performances in Tampa Bay, they’ve nonetheless misplaced 13 consecutive video games when visiting the Lightning, a run that dates again to April 29, 2015.
1. Chicago Blackhawks at Philadelphia Flyers – 15 gamesBlame the Blackhawks’ runs to the Stanley Cup last for screwing this up, as a result of have been it not for his or her post-season highway victories over the Flyers in the course of the 2010 Stanley Cup last, this streak wouldn’t want an asterisk. Sadly, although, it does.
If we’re to maintain the deal with the common season losses, although, it’s nonetheless onerous to fathom how Chicago has gone 15 video games and not using a win in Philadelphia. It’s much more tough to grasp if you understand the streak really outdates the Canadiens’ shedding streak in San Jose. The loss that kicked this drought off for the Blackhawks was a March 31, 1998, defeat by the hands of the Flyers, and Chicago’s final win in Philadelphia earlier than that was on Nov. 9, 1996. The objective scorers for the Blackhawks that night time have been Gary Suter, Eric Daze, Murray Craven and Tony Amote. Jeff Hackett picked up the win.
Chicago’s shedding streak in Philadelphia is about to bleed into subsequent season, too, the lone mark on this checklist that’s assured to take action. The Blackhawks kicked off the season towards the Flyers in Prague, and that outing went into the books as Chicago’s lone highway sport towards Philadelphia this season. (It additionally counts as a 16th consecutive “away” loss for the Blackhawks, however solely 15 have really occurred within the Philadelphia.)
Need extra in-depth options, evaluation and an All-Entry move to the most recent content material? Subscribe to The Hockey Information journal.
Tags: detroit purple wings, buffalo sabres, montreal canadiens, lists, pittsburgh penguins, florida panthers, columbus blue jackets, dallas stars, tampa bay lightning, carolina hurricanes, washington capitals, philadelphia flyers, arizona coyotes, chicago blackhawksConnect: In regards to the AuthorJared ClintonJared Clinton is a author and internet editor with The Hockey Information. He is been with the workforce since 2014. He was born, raised and resides in Winnipeg, the place he may be discovered lacking the web on outside rinks throughout city.