Ohhh, I’m certain we’ll get feedback on this checklist, however checklist we should. The next ranks the highest 10 males’s gamers of the previous decade and let’s simply get right down to brass tacks: Connor McDavid just isn’t on the checklist. Why? As a result of he was within the NHL for lower than half of the last decade and as you will note from the criterion under, he simply doesn’t make the lower. Will McDavid be the participant of the last decade 10 years from now, assuming the Web nonetheless exists? In fact he might be. However one playoff look, one Hart Trophy and two Artwork Ross trophies simply doesn’t lower it with this group, in case you can think about.
To determine this checklist, I checked out Olympic and Stanley Cup success, whole factors (or wins within the case of goalies) and particular person trophies. Just one participant managed to make the lower with out successful a championship and he’s a little bit of a mould-breaker, so we’ll let it slide. With out additional ado, listed here are the 10 greatest gamers of the previous decade. Don’t @ me…
10. Jonathan Fast, Los Angeles KingsChoosing a goalie for the checklist was the toughest of all. Marc-Andre Fleury really holds the wins title through the previous 10 years and he does have two rings from his time in Pittsburgh, however Fast received two Stanley Cups because the starter in Los Angeles and he has a Conn Smythe in addition (plus, he’s second in wins). One of the vital intimidating netminders of the last decade, Fast additionally received two Jennings trophies with the Kings. Carey Value, Henrik Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne have been different prime candidates – however none of them have rings.
9. Duncan Keith, Chicago BlackhawksYes, one other Hawk. However with three Cups, two Olympic golds, one Conn Smythe and two Norris trophies, it will be fairly disingenuous to depart off Chicago’s most elite defenseman. Keith fashioned a devastating pairing with Brent Seabrook throughout these salad days, narrowly beating out Drew Doughty of the Kings (who had a reasonably wonderful decade himself).
eight. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles KingsA dominating middle throughout an period the place that meant the whole lot, Kopitar was on the helm of two Stanley Cups with Los Angeles, whereas additionally taking residence two Selke trophies and one Woman Byng Trophy alongside the way in which. It could appear to be an eternity in the past now, however the Kings have been extremely scary within the playoffs and Kopitar was a giant a part of that.
7. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators/San Jose SharksIt is uncommon for a defenseman to affect the sport the way in which Karlsson has and although he has but to win a title, his expertise are simple. The elite puckmover received two Norris trophies and possibly ought to have received a 3rd prior to now decade, whereas additionally main the NHL in factors by a blueliner.
6. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh PenguinsThe greatest second-best participant on a workforce ever, ‘Geno’ doesn’t play within the shadow of Crosby a lot as he politely waits his flip to point out the world how good he’s when the Penguins want him most. Malkin received two Stanley Cups this decade, one Artwork Ross Trophy, one Hart Trophy and one Ted Lindsay.
5. Patrice Bergeron, Boston BruinsThere merely has by no means been a greater defensive middle within the recreation, ever. Bergeron’s two-way prowess lorded over this decade, resulting in a Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins and two Olympic gold medals with Canada. Most spectacular nevertheless, are the 4 Selke trophies received throughout a time when Kopitar and Crosby have been round. And Bergeron nonetheless has the Bruins on the prime of the NHL pile.
four. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks‘Captain Severe’ feasted on the previous decade because the captain of the Blackhawks for 3 Stanley Cups. He received one Conn Smythe, two Olympic gold medals and one Selke throughout that reign, elevating the significance of an elite two-way middle as he did.
three. Patrick Kane, Chicago BlackhawksThe highest-scoring participant prior to now 10 years, Kane was additionally instrumental in Chicago successful three Stanley Cups. He bought a Conn Smythe Trophy throughout a type of efforts and likewise earned a Hart Trophy and a Ted Lindsay Award. His Blackhawks lorded over the playoffs within the first half of the last decade and Kane remains to be producing at a powerful clip this 12 months.
2. Alex Ovechkin, Washington CapitalsMaybe the very best goal-scorer ever, Ovechkin is actually the very best scorer of the 21st century as his six Rocket Richard trophies will attest. The captain of the Washington Capitals additionally presided over the franchise’s first Stanley Cup, earned a Conn Smythe Trophy, one Ted Lindsay Award and one Hart Trophy. Ovechkin can be the one participant to attain greater than 400 targets this decade.
1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh PenguinsWas there ever going to be one other reply? This was the heyday of ‘Sid the Child,’ who was very a lot The Man throughout this stretch. Two Olympic gold medals, two Stanley Cups, two Conn Smythe awards, two Ted Lindsay Awards, two Rocket Richard trophies and one Hart Trophy. Crosby additionally ranks second in whole factors throughout this span, although his 1.23 factors per recreation ranked larger than the winner, who you’ll meet quickly.
Over the subsequent two weeks, The Hockey Information might be wrapping up the 2010s with a glance again at the very best – and worst – of the last decade. Discover extra right here.
Need extra in-depth options, evaluation and an All-Entry move to the most recent content material? Subscribe to The Hockey Information journal.
Tags: la kings, san jose sharks, pittsburgh penguins, boston bruins, washington capitals, chicago blackhawks, nhl, 2010sConnect: In regards to the AuthorRyan KennedyRyan Kennedy is the affiliate senior author and draft/prospect knowledgeable at The Hockey Information. He has been with the publication since 2005 and in that span, Don Cherry, Lil Jon and The Rock have all known as his home. He lives in Toronto along with his spouse and children the place he listens to loud music and collects NCAA pennants.