Jordan Binnington has earned himself a chunk of NHL historical past, and there’s an opportunity that by the point the Stanley Cup remaining is all mentioned and achieved, the St. Louis Blues rookie will stand alone within the document books.
On Thursday, when Binnington slammed the door nearly completely shut with a 38-save efficiency in Sport 5 in opposition to the Boston Bruins, the rookie netminder picked up his 15th win of the playoffs. With that, Binnington entered into what’s now a five-way tie for probably the most wins by a rookie goaltender in a single post-season. Not solely that, however with the Stanley Cup out of attain by only one victory, Binnington has the chance to enter into sole possession of the document by backstopping the Blues to their first NHL crown and develop into one among solely a handful of freshman netminders to win the Stanley Cup.
Whatever the final result of the subsequent few video games, it’s value questioning the place his efficiency all through these 2019 playoffs ranks all-time amongst rookie netminders given all that Binnington has already achieved. Earlier than we will try this, although, it’s essential to stipulate some parameters.
First, this record consists of rookie goaltenders from the start of the Authentic Six period and past who have been competing of their first NHL post-season. So, if a netminder was nonetheless technically a rookie for Calder Trophy functions, very similar to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Matt Murray was throughout his second journey to the Stanley Cup remaining, it doesn’t depend. First runs solely.
Moreover, the rookie keeper can’t have merely appeared in some unspecified time in the future within the post-season. He has to have performed the vast majority of his workforce’s video games. As an example, Andre Vasilevskiy’s 2015 playoff efficiency won’t seem on this record. He skated in 4 video games, however Ben Bishop was the Tampa Bay Lightning’s beginning netminder and appeared in 25 video games that post-season.
Lastly, solely netminders who meet the primary two standards and performed within the remaining have made the record. No goaltenders who made first-round exits or put forth valiant efforts for groups that fell brief within the division or convention remaining made the lower. So, apologies to Martin Brodeur, who was spectacular within the 1994 playoffs and got here inside one save – and one Devils objective – of creating the lower.
13. Don Simmons, Boston Bruins – 1956-57Simmons was outplayed badly within the remaining by his counterpart, Jacques Plante, because the Bruins misplaced the Stanley Cup remaining in 5. Solely twice within the collection did Simmons permit fewer than 4 objectives in opposition to, one among which was his Sport four shutout of the Canadiens.
12. Invoice Durnan, Montreal Canadiens – 1943-44The Corridor of Famer kicked off his profession in fashion, capturing the Stanley Cup in his first season within the NHL. Lord Stanley’s Mug sat alongside one other piece of Durnan received that season: the Vezina Trophy. Durnan misplaced just one recreation all post-season. That mentioned, he performed solely 9 video games and received taking part in behind a powerhouse Canadiens membership.
11. Frank McCool, Toronto Maple Leafs – 1944-45There’s in all probability an argument to be made that McCool belongs larger up this record given 4 of his eight wins have been shutouts, however he was a 26-year-old rookie taking part in in the course of the Authentic Six period. The expertise pool was thinner and he wasn’t as fresh-faced as others on the record. Nonetheless, a exceptional efficiency that got here full with a Stanley Cup victory.
10. Mike Vernon, Calgary Flames – 1985-86The bottom-ranking of the post-expansion keepers on the record. Vernon was good however not nice throughout Calgary’s run to the 1986 remaining. Granted, he confronted a better shot quantity than most keepers within the post-season, however that doesn’t change the very fact Vernon was considerably outplayed within the remaining by one other netminder who seems in a while on this record. No spoilers right here, although absolutely just a few readers are conscious who we’re speaking about.
9. Glenn Corridor, Detroit Pink Wings – 1955-56Corridor could be larger on this record if it wasn’t for an atrocious begin to his Stanley Cup remaining. A 24-year-old rookie netminder on the time, Corridor was walloped in Video games 1 and a pair of of the collection in opposition to the Canadiens, permitting 11 objectives throughout the primary two video games. He acquired it collectively because the collection wore on and stopped all however seven of the 81 photographs he confronted throughout the ultimate three video games, however it was too little, too late. Detroit misplaced in 5.
eight. Rogie Vachon, Montreal Canadiens – 1966-67Like Corridor, Vachon’s rating is impacted by his efficiency within the remaining. The Canadiens gave Vachon the reins to start out the post-season and he ran with the chance, serving to Montreal sweep the Rangers within the first spherical. In Sport 5 of the ultimate, nonetheless, he allowed 4 objectives on 19 photographs throughout two durations. In got here Gump Worsley, and he completed up the collection, which the Canadiens dropped in six to the Maple Leafs.
7. Pete Peeters, Philadelphia Flyers – 1979-80The Flyers’ playoff hopes have been largely moored to Peeters in the course of the 1980 post-season, a wise choice given his 29-5-5 common season document and a efficiency that finally earned him a third-place end in Calder voting. He had some difficulties within the playoffs, nonetheless, significantly in the course of the remaining. He surrendered a minimum of three objectives in opposition to in each contest he performed in opposition to the Islanders. There have been undoubtedly these left questioning what may need been if Phil Myre, Peeters’ backup who posted a .920 SP and a 5-1 document within the post-season, would have gotten the nod in opposition to New York.
6. Ken Dryden, Montreal Canadiens – 1970-71Dryden’s rookie run is among the many most magical in NHL historical past. The imagery alone is the stuff of legends. Dryden’s nonchalant stance, along with his palms resting atop his objective stick, is iconic. And all of it started in the course of the 1971 playoffs when the massive child out of Cornell placed on a present within the Canadiens’ crease and commenced one of the dominant runs in NHL historical past. Dryden’s playoff debut noticed him publish a .914 SP and three.01 GAA throughout 20 video games, together with an excellent 31-save efficiency in Sport 7 of the Stanley Cup remaining to assist Montreal win the Stanley Cup.
5. Jordan Binnington, St. Louis Blues – 2018-19In making these rankings, quite a few statistical classes have been considered, comparable to wins, losses, saves, SP, GAA, shutouts, goals-saved above common and video games performed. (It’s tougher to take care of a excessive customary of play over an extended interval, in any case.) Add all of it up and Binnington completed fifth. Nevertheless, if he wins another recreation, takes the document for wins by a rookie netminder in a single post-season and places forth a efficiency akin to the one he had in Sport 5, the place does he then land? Statistically, he has some floor to make up, however there’s an argument to be made that a Stanley Cup victory vaults him into the top-three, a minimum of.
four. Ron Hextall, Philadelphia Flyers – 1986-87Earlier than we get into Hextall’s play, it’s value noting one distinctive statistic. Hextall had 43 penalty minutes within the post-season as a rookie netminder. By comparability, the 2019 playoff chief was (and might be) Evander Kane. He has 61 penalty minutes, and the next-most penalized participant is Timo Meier, who has 34 PIM. Take a second to consider that. Hextall actually labored laborious to earn his popularity as a netminder one could be clever to not cross.
He additionally earned his popularity as a standout keeper, too. Breaking into the league in 1986-87 after a season spent within the AHL, Hextall’s common season brilliance captured him the Vezina and he adopted that up by backstopping the Flyers to the Stanley Cup remaining. He was merely overpowered by the high-octane Oilers offense within the remaining, however he posted a .912 SP or higher in a seven-game collection.
three. Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins – 2015-16Murray is a type of uncommon gamers who was in a position to make a major playoff impression earlier than he even had a full NHL common season underneath his belt. After making some begins late within the season and embarking on fairly the rookie run, Murray acquired the decision within the Penguins’ in Sport three of the opening spherical in opposition to the Rangers and refused to relinquish the function, even after then-Pittsburgh starter Marc-Andre Fleury returned to motion.
Within the Japanese Convention remaining, it was the Penguins’ firepower as a lot because it was Murray that allowed Pittsburgh to advance previous the Lightning, however the rookie netminder discovered his groove on the proper time and stymied the San Jose Sharks all through a lot of the ultimate. There have been solely two video games, one among which was an additional time defeat, by which Murray allowed greater than two objectives in opposition to in the course of the remaining and he completed the collection with a .920 SP on 138 photographs.
2. Cam Ward, Carolina Hurricanes – 2005-06Determined instances known as for determined measures in Carolina, and after Martin Gerber had been picked aside by Montreal via 4 durations of the Hurricanes’ opening-round tilt with the Canadiens, the choice was made to run with Ward. And boy, did he make coach Peter Laviolette appear to be a genius. After giving up the game-winning objective in additional time in Sport 2, Ward rattled of seven consecutive victories, throughout which era he posted a .951 SP. He backstopped Carolina previous Montreal, previous New Jersey, previous Buffalo and into the Stanley Cup remaining in opposition to Edmonton.
The ultimate was an up-and-down collection for Ward, significantly shaky Video games 5 and 6, however Ward had one among his greatest outings of your entire post-season in Sport 7 of the ultimate. Challenged 23 instances within the Stanley Cup-deciding recreation, Ward stopped 22 photographs to safe the championship for the Hurricanes. He received the Conn Smythe for his efforts.
1. Patrick Roy, Montreal Canadiens – 1985-86Who else? Simply take a look at the numbers. In his 20 appearances within the post-season, Roy went an impressive 15-5, posted a .923 SP, 1.93 GAA and one shutout. Utilizing goals-saved above common, as supplied by Hockey-Reference, Roy had the very best playoff efficiency of any first-year netminder. That he received the Conn Smythe was no shock.
Oddly sufficient, Roy’s efficiency within the remaining was arguably his worst of the post-season. He was higher than Vernon, who’s listed above, however Roy allowed three or extra objectives in three of the 5 video games it took the Canadiens to knock off the Flames. In fact, he did additionally publish a shutout in Sport four of the ultimate, however he completed the collection with a .904 SP.
So far as total efficiency goes, although, Roy’s play stays the very best of any keeper making his post-season debut, and it is perhaps a protracted whereas earlier than we see anybody problem Saint Patrick for high spot.
Need extra in-depth options, evaluation and an All-Entry go to the newest content material? Subscribe to The Hockey Information journal.
Tags: goaltending, lists, stanley cup playoffsConnect: Concerning the AuthorJared ClintonJared Clinton is a author and internet editor with The Hockey Information. He is been with the workforce since 2014. He was born, raised and resides in Winnipeg, the place he might be discovered lacking the online on out of doors rinks throughout city.