Over time, Jonathan Toews has discovered to embrace the ‘Captain Critical’ moniker. Fact is, although, that it’s now not all that correct. Certain, he’s all enterprise on ice, however Toews’ off-ice perspective has been decidedly extra lighthearted than it may need been in his earlier days. And given the Chicago Blackhawks star middle’s sobriquet is considerably ill-fitting at this stage in his profession, possibly it’s time to retire it and undertake a brand new one. So, how about ‘Captain Clutch’?
Admittedly, Toews is now not as productive as he as soon as was. After a career-best 81 factors final season, he’s on tempo for 14 objectives and 42 factors this season, each of which might be profession lows. But when there’s one factor Toews has remained among the many league’s greatest at, it’s discovering twine with the sport on the road. Living proof, of the 5 objectives Toews has scored this season, two have are available time beyond regulation. And the latest of these objectives was significantly noteworthy.
When Toews slipped house the time beyond regulation winner, sneaking one by Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask to snap Boston’s eight-game successful streak and hand them their first loss on house ice this season, it marked the 11th time for the reason that introduction of Three-on-Three time beyond regulation the Blackhawks captain has fired house the winner in further time. Becoming concerning the objective, too, is that in doing so, he tied the mark for many time beyond regulation objectives for the reason that introduction of Three-on-Three and drew degree with Bruins winger Brad Marchand for probably the most for the reason that starting of the 2015-16 marketing campaign.
However not all time beyond regulation objectives are minimize from the identical material – energy play tallies have turned a few of these OT-winners into Four-on-Three objectives, for instance – and never all scorers have had the identical influence when the sport is determined at three-a-side. So, which gamers have actually been the perfect Three-on-Three producers over the previous four-plus seasons? Right here’s a have a look at the 10 greatest:
1. Leon Draisaitl – eight objectives, 18 pointsIt helps, in fact, that Draisaitl is one half of probably the most deadly one-two punch within the NHL, however his potential to supply when the sport opens up shouldn’t be neglected. Solely nine-goal scorers Toews, who seems on this listing, and Marchand, who doesn’t resulting from an absence of Three-on-Three helpers, have discovered twine greater than Draisaitl. His 16 major factors are additionally probably the most.
2. Johnny Gaudreau – 7 objectives, 17 pointsThe present marketing campaign has been a irritating one for Gaudreau and the Flames, however the expert and shift Calgary winger has traditionally flourished with all of the open ice that Three-on-Three gives. Of the 17 factors he’s registered at threes, 14 are major factors, together with seven objectives. His seven factors at three-a-side throughout the 2015-16 marketing campaign are tied for probably the most in a single season – with Brent Seabrook, of all gamers.
Three. Anze Kopitar – Four objectives, 16 pointsThe Los Angeles Kings captain is without doubt one of the solely gamers on this listing whose level complete is buoyed primarily by secondary helpers. Six of the 16 factors Kopitar has registered at Three-on-Three have been secondary assists, which is tied for probably the most by any participant for the reason that introduction of the format. Primarily based on objective manufacturing, Kopitar’s 4 Three-on-Three tallies are tied for 31st within the NHL for the reason that begin of the 2015-16 season.
Four. Connor McDavid – 6 objectives, 15 pointsHere’s a statistic for you: McDavid’s general level complete is tied for fourth with two others, however Draisaitl is the one participant for the reason that introduction of Three-on-Three with extra major factors. Not a single one in every of McDavid’s factors at three-a-side has been of the secondary selection. Outstanding.
5. Artemi Panarin – Four objectives, 15 pointsTied with Kopitar in objective manufacturing however one complete level again, Panarin really has the sting in major factors. His seven major assists at Three-on-Three offers him 11 major factors, another than Kopitar’s 10 major factors. The actual kicker right here with Panarin, although, is that he’s put up as many factors in roughly 83 minutes work. No participant forward of him on the listing has performed fewer than 94 minutes at threes.
6. Jonathan Toews – 9 objectives, 15 pointsHe led the NHL with 5 time beyond regulation winners throughout the 2015-16 season, however two of these tallies got here withe Blackhawks on the person benefit. Lopping two objectives off of Toews’ complete takes him all the way down to 9 objectives at Three-on-Three. Nonetheless a powerful mark and among the many greatest for the reason that introduction of the time beyond regulation format.
7. Patrick Kane – 6 objectives, 14 pointsKane has been McDavid-esque in his potential to manage the scoring at Three-on-Three, and the 2 are solely separated by a single major level. Actually. Kane’s six objectives are degree with McDavid, and Kane has eight major assists. Gamers with as many or extra major factors at threes: Draisaitl, McDavid and Gaudreau. Kane and Toews have made the Blackhawks onerous to deal with in further time.
eight. Evgeny Kuznetsov – 6 objectives, 14 pointsOne would possibly suppose that Kuznetsov has loaded up on factors by means of taking part in alongside Alex Ovechkin, who has extra time beyond regulation objectives than any participant in NHL historical past, however truth of the matter is that Kuznetsov has been as a lot the triggerman as he has been the playmaker at threes. His six objectives are greater than every other Capital at Three-on-Three, and that features Ovechkin.
9. Mark Scheifele – eight objectives, 13 pointsHe’s not tops within the league, however there are few who’ve been extra deadly with the puck on their stick than Scheifele. His eight Three-on-Three objectives over the previous four-plus seasons put him in a tie for second within the NHL over that span and 4 away from every other Jets skater. He’s been a giant all-around contributor, too. His 12 major factors are greater than all however 4 gamers.
10. Seth Jones – 7 objectives, 13 pointsThe first defenseman on the listing. Jones doesn’t make it by means of assists, both. He’s been a grasp blaster at Three-on-Three, and his seven objectives are greater than all however three skaters who seem on this listing. Get this, too: he’s taking pictures an otherworldly 41.2 % when skating three-a-side. There’s no different participant with at the very least 50 minutes of ice time who has shot out the lights at fairly that charge.
11. T.J. Brodie – Three objectives, 13 pointsTechnically, Brodie takes the listing to 11, but it surely’s value together with the Flames defenseman given he’s tied with Scheifele and Jones in general manufacturing. Of any participant inside the high 10 in Three-on-Three scoring, although, Brodie has the fewest objectives and is tied for the fewest major factors. He has eight, which places him degree with Jones in that regard.
(All superior statistics by way of Evolving-Hockey.)
Need extra in-depth options, evaluation and an All-Entry move to the most recent content material? Subscribe to The Hockey Information journal.
Tags: listsConnect: Concerning the AuthorJared ClintonJared Clinton is a author and net editor with The Hockey Information. He is been with the workforce since 2014. He was born, raised and resides in Winnipeg, the place he will be discovered lacking the web on outside rinks throughout city.