Selecting the 10 worst groups of the previous 10 years is an train in cruelty, so we took the scientific strategy and let the numbers dictate the baddest of the dangerous. Which is to say, listed here are the 10 groups that posted the worst factors percentages within the 2010s:
10. Columbus Blue Jackets 2011-12 (29-46-7, .396 factors proportion)The lowlights: The Blue Jackets completed final total in 2011-12, 9 factors behind second-last Edmonton. And Columbus completed final within the Central Division in spectacular style – they’d 65 factors, whereas the opposite 4 groups within the division all had greater than 100 factors. The Blue Jackets had been the fifth-worst offensive crew and third-worst defensively. Their energy play ranked 24th out of 30 groups, their penalty kill was final. How dangerous was it? They even misplaced the draft lottery.
9. Ottawa Senators 2018-19 (29-47-6, .390 factors proportion)The lowlights: Erik Karlsson was traded at the beginning of coaching camp, and issues acquired worse from there. Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel – the Sens’ first-, second-, and sixth-leading scorers – had been additionally dealt main as much as the NHL commerce deadline. Ottawa ranked final total within the league standings, seven factors behind second-last Los Angeles. Whereas their offense completed in the midst of the pack, their Three.67 goals-against common was the worst within the league.
Eight. Edmonton Oilers 2010-11 (25-45-12, .378 factors proportion)The lowlights: They completed final total and so they got here by it actually. The 2010-11 Oilers had each the third-worst offense and the third-worst protection; their energy play was fourth-worst and their penalty kill ranked lifeless final. Jordan Eberle led the crew in scoring with 43 factors, beginning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin went 10-32-Four.
7. Buffalo Sabres 2017-18 (25-45-12, .378 factors proportion)The lowlights: Sure, the 2017-18 Sabres completed final total. The issue was two-fold: they couldn’t rating (ending final in offense) and so they couldn’t defend (ending second-last in protection). No less than they ended up with 2018 No. 1 choose Rasmus Dahlin for his or her troubles.
6. Edmonton Oilers 2014-15 (24-45-14, .378 factors proportion)The lowlights: How a few reverse lowlight? As in, the 2014-15 Oilers had been dangerous, positive, however they had been the perfect of three dangerous 2014-15 groups on this record. Edmonton’s minus-85 aim differential was atrocious, but it surely was nonetheless higher than Arizona’s and Buffalo’s (spoiler: these had been the opposite two dangerous groups in 2014-15). The Oilers struggled to attain, rating 26th out of 30 groups, whereas their protection was 30th. They gave Ben Scrivens the online, however they didn’t give him a lot assist.
5. Florida Panthers 2012-13 (15-27-6, .375 factors proportion)The lowlights: Final total on offense, final total on protection, final total within the standings. The 2012-13 Panthers had a minus-59 aim differential in a 48-game season. Their penalty kill was the worst within the league. Tomas Kopecky led them in objectives with 15. Of the 34 gamers who appeared in a minimum of one recreation for the Panthers, just one participant had a constructive plus/minus score: Eric Selleck, who was plus-two in two video games. Hey, a minimum of it was a brief season and so they didn’t extend the agony.
Four. Arizona Coyotes 2014-15 (24-50-Eight, .341 factors proportion)The lowlights: The 2014-15 Coyotes had been even worse than the 2014-15 Oilers. They’re the primary crew with a 50-loss season on this record. The Coyotes had been the second-worst crew on offense and third-worst on protection. Their aim differential was minus-102. They solely had one 20-goal scorer, and it was defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson. It was their worst season in Arizona in franchise historical past. Beginning goalie Mike Smith went 14-42-5. They had been dangerous, mainly, is what we’re saying.
Three. Buffalo Sabres 2014-15 (23-51-Eight, .329 factors proportion)The lowlights: They had been even worse than the Coyotes. The Sabres ranked lifeless final on offense, averaging a paltry 1.86 objectives per recreation. Their Three.28 GAA was second-worst, forward of solely Edmonton (Three.37). Their energy play was so remarkably dangerous (13.Three p.c) that their league-worst penalty kill (75.zero p.c) was nearly mediocre by comparability. They misplaced 14 in a row from late December by early February, failing to even earn a loser level within the course of. Their aim differential was an astounding minus-113. They couldn’t even win the draft lottery – Jack Eichel was an awesome comfort, but it surely positive would’ve been good to snag Connor McDavid.
2. Buffalo Sabres 2013-14 (21-51-10, .317 factors proportion)The lowlights: As dangerous because the Sabres had been in 2014-15, they had been even worse the season earlier than. They went 2-12-1 in October and completed the season by going Three-17-2 in March and April – and so they weren’t an entire lot higher within the months in between. They fired the coach and GM by the center of November. They scored 1.83 objectives per recreation, practically half a aim lower than the second-worst crew. Six gamers had been minus-25 or worse. They used six goalies, together with Connor Knapp, Nathan Lieuwen and Matt Hackett. The one silver lining? There was one crew that was even worse previously decade.
1. Colorado Avalanche 2016-17 (22-56-Four, .293 factors proportion)The lowlights: With 56 losses and a sub-.300 factors proportion, the 2016-17 Avs set the usual for the 2010s. However, like, the unsuitable customary. They ranked final total in each offense and protection. Their energy play was putrid (12.5 p.c), their penalty kill ranked 29th out of 30 groups. They’d a aim differential of minus-112. Any person get Nathan MacKinnon some assist…
Need extra in-depth options, evaluation and an All-Entry go to the newest content material? Subscribe to The Hockey Information journal.
Tags: nhl, 2010sConnect: In regards to the AuthorSam McCaigCopy editor Sam McCaig rejoined The Hockey Information in 2017 after beforehand working at THN from 1999 to 2010. His profession excessive for objectives in a season is one.